State and Local Government
MSU Extension Center for Local Government Finance and Policy
The MSU Extension Center for Local Government Finance and Policy was created to work directly with communities to improve their fiscal health and help them thrive. The Center brings the experience and expertise of municipal finance professionals in both MSU Extension and MSU’s Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics together to deliver the latest applied research, tools and best practices to Michigan communities.
The Center’s core services for communities include:
- Strategic planning: Provide facilitation for strategic planning sessions and the development of strategic plans.
- Performance Measurement: Assist in the development of performance metrics for government budgets, strategic plans and public accountability reporting.
- Benchmarking: Provide targeted service and financial performance comparative analysis against peer jurisdictions.
- Pension and OPEB Analysis: Provide an assessment of trends in pension costs, pension funding, other employment benefits and benchmarking best practice strategies.
- Financial Trend Analysis: Provide an overall assessment of long term and short term trends in revenues, expenditures, debt, general fiscal health and recommendations regarding adoption of financial policies.
Selected AFRE faculty and graduate students working on State and Local Government programs