- Admission to our graduate programs is competitive. Below are some indications of criteria we use in assessing prospective students.
- Ability to complete the degree requirements successfully and in a reasonable time period. This is evaluated based on the entire application, so please see Application Review Guidelines.
- Previous research or work experience that is relevant to your proposed area of interest.
- Match between the applicant’s background and interests, and the department’s research, teaching, and outreach programs.
- The applicant’s contribution to the diversity and balance of our overall graduate student group.
- Financial aid is highly competitive. Applicants who meet the minimum criteria above are therefore evaluated in terms of their academic promise and the fit of their skills and educational objectives with available fellowships and job openings for research and teaching assistants.