How To Apply
- The Graduate School Web site includes an application brochure with information for all applicants, for international applicants on topics including English language proficiency, financial proof, and visas; and a related Web site with additional information for international applicants.
- Required application materials include:
- Transcripts from previous degree programs,
- Personal statement,
- Academic statement,
- Three letters of recommendation,
- TOEFL scores (international students),
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores
- Applicants must apply on-line. The application forms and procedures are different for domestic and international applicants. See the “” web page.
- In general, applicants for the Ph.D. program are expected to be completing or to have obtained a Master’s degree. Exceptional students with strong backgrounds in economics, calculus, liner algebra, statistics, and strong English language skills may apply for the Ph.D. program without a prior Master’s.
How To Send Support Materials
- All Supporting documentation which include original transcripts and letters of recommendation should be uploaded through the Student Portal system which is access through Admissions web page.
- TOEFL and GRE scores must be sent by ETS to Michigan State University. MSU‘s institution code is 1465.
- For the GRE, the department code (agricultural, food, and resource economics) is 0101;
- For the TOEFL, there is no appropriate department code, so 99 should be chosen.
- Note that applications will not be reviewed without GRE and TOEFL scores, so these exams should be taken early enough that scores will reach MSU at the same time as the rest of the application.