Carl K. Eicher
Ph.D., 1961. Harvard University
M.S., 1955. Michigan State University
B.S., 1952. Michigan State University
Distinguished Professor Emeritus
Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI
- Eicher Legacy CV
- MSU AFRE International Food Security Update Special Release - Carl K. Eicher’s passing
- Cark K. Eicher Life Celebration Service - Video
Carl K. Eicher, Distinguished Professor Emeritus, Department of Agricultural, Food and Resource Economics at Michigan State University. Carl Eicher’s career was devoted to training students, building institutions and helping develop applied agricultural research capacity throughout Sub-Saharan Africa. He served as Visiting Professor at the University of Nigeria (1963-66), Stanford University (1968) and the University of Zimbabwe (1983-87).
In 1963, he helped establish the Economic Development Institute at the University of Nigeria and subsequently served as the Director of the Institute from 1964 to 1966. He received the Foreign Francqui Prize, University of Leuven, Belgium in 1986 and he was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Science Degree by the University of Zimbabwe in 1998.
After retirement, his dedication to African development continued through his work with the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, the World Bank, the Kellogg Foundation, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and African organizations such the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) and the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD).
MSU and related publication series which Professor Eicher helped develop at MSU over his career
- Employment Generation in African agriculture. 1970. by Carl K. Eicher, et. al. Research report Michigan State University. Institute of International Agriculture No. 9
- Consortium for the Study of Nigerian Rural Development (CSNRD). 1969. In-Country Publication List.
- African Rural Employment & Rural Economy Papers. 1972 -1980.
- African Rural Employment (Economy) Working Papers 1974 -1982.
- MSU Rural Development Papers. 1978-1980
- MSU Rural Development Series Working Papers. 1979 -1982
- UZ/MSU Food Security Research in Southern Africa Project - Annual Conference Reports. 1987 -1991
- MSU International Development Papers. 1982 - Current
- MSU International Development Working Papers. 1982- Current