Carl E. Liedholm
Ph.D., 1965. University of Michigan
B.S., 1961. Pomona College
Professor of Economics and Former AFRE Collaborator
Michigan State University
204D Old Botany
Notable Publications and Presentations (downloadable)
- Professor Liedholm at MSU Alumni Association’s Inaugural Ring March - Go Green . Video 2012.
- Carl Liedholm on the Economics of Big Ten Sports. 2011. Video of Presentation to MSU Broad College’s Business. May 17.
- Enterprise Dynamics in the Rural Nonfarm Economy. 2007. by Carl Liedholm, Chapter 5 (pp 99-115) in Transforming the Rural Nonfarm Economy: Opportunities and Threats in the Developing World. 2007. Edited By Steven Haggblade, Peter B. R. Hazell, and Thomas Reardon. International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) by Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Can Web Courses Replace the Classroom in Principles of Microeconomics? 2002. By Brown, Byron W., and Carl E. Liedholm. American Economic Review, 92(2): 444-448.
- Small Enterprises and Economic Development: The Dynamics of Micro and Small Entriprises. 1999. By Carl E. Liedholm and Donald C. Mead. Routledge Studies in Development Economics.
- The Dynamics of Micro and Small Enterprises in Developing Countries. 1998. By Carl Liedholm and Donald C. Mead. World Development. Vol. 26, No. 1.
- Reviews of the impact of research and outreach on small and microenterprise development.
- Experiments in Small- and Microenterprise Development. 1989. AID Science and Technology in Development Series.
- USAID’s Key Achievements in Rural Enterprise Development. 2011. USAID Evaluation Document (documenting effects of long-term research and outreach on small enterprise development efforts).
- USAID’s Legacy in Agricultural Development - 50 Years of Progress. 2013. A review of the most salient achievements in USAID’s investments in agricultural development over the past 50 years.
- GEMINI Project Publications
- GEMINI Action Research Program I: Final Report - The Dynamic Role of Micro and Small Enterprises in the Development Process. 1995. by Carl Liedholm and Donald C. Mead. Growth and Equity Through Microenterprise Investments and Institutions (GEMINI) Project.
- The Impact of Laws and Regulations on Micro and Small Enterprises in Niger and Swaziland. 1992. by Isabelle Joumard, Carl Liedholm and Donald Mead. OECD Development Centre Working Paper No. 77.
- Small Scale Industries in Developing Countries: Empirical Evidence and Policy Implications. 1987. By Carl E. Liedholm and Donald Mead. MSU International Development Paper No. 9. East Lansing, Michigan: Department of Agricultural Economics. 144 pp.
- The Role of Nonfarm Activities in the Rural Economy. 1986. By Peter Kilby and Carl Liedholm. EEPA Discussion Paper No. 7. November.
- The Role of Small - Scale Industry in Employment Generation and Rural Development: Initial Research Results from Sierra Leone. 1975. By Carl Liedholm and Enyinna Chuta. African Rural Employment Paper No.11. Department of Agricultural Economics, Michigan State University.
- Research on Employment in the Rural Nonfarm Sector in Africa. 1973. By Carl Liedholm. African Rural Employment Paper No. 5. Department of Agricultural Economics, Michigan State University.
- The Effect of Policy and Policy Reforms on Non-Agricultural Enterprises and Employment in Developing Countries: A Review of Past Experiences. 1986. By Haggblade, Steven, Carl Liedholm and Donald C. Mead. MSU International Development Working Paper No. 27. Department of Agricultural Economics, Michigan State University.
- Employment and Growth in Small-Scale Industry: Empirical Evidence and Policy Assessment from Sierra Leone. 1985. By Enyinna Chuta and Carl Liedholm. New York: St. Martin’s Press.
- Small Scale Enterprise Credit Schemes: Administrative Costs and the Role of Inventory Norms. 1985. By Carl E. Liedholm. MSU International Development Working Paper No. 25. Department of Agricultural Economics, Michigan State University.
- Rural Non-Farm Employment - A Review of the State of the Art. 1979. By Enyinna Chuta and Carl Liedholm. MSU Rural Development Paper No. 4. Department of Agricultural Economics, Michigan State University.
- An Economic Analysis of Small-Scale Industry in Sierra Leone. 1976. By Carl Liedholm and Enyinna Chuta. African Rural Economy Paper No. 14. Department of Agricultural Economics, Michigan State University.
- Growth and Development of the Nigerian Economy. 1970. edited by Carl K. Eicher and Carl Liedholm. (slow download-large file)