Ph.D., Michigan State University
M.S., Michigan State University
B.S., Allegheny College
Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1039
Recent Research and Policy Presentation Videos
- Nicole Mason: The Scoop on Fertilizer Subsidies - IFAD AgTalk TV, May 20, 2015
- Nicole Mason: Agricultural Input Subsidy Programs in Theory and in Practice: The Case of Zambia - MSU Eye on Africa Seminar, Oct. 31, 2013
Recent Research and Policy Presentations
- Incentivizing (Un)sustainable Intensification? Evidence from Zambia’s Input Subsidy Program. 2017. by Stephen N. Morgan, Nicole M. Mason, N. Kendra Levine, and Olipa Zulu-Mbata. Selected paper presented at the 14th Midwest International Economic Development Conference, Pyle Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 21 April 2017
- Do input subsidies reduce poverty among smallholder farm households? Evidence from Zambia. N. Mason and S. Tembo. Selected paper presented at the International Association of Agricultural Economists Triennial Conference. Milan, Italy, Aug. 14, 2015.
- Does minimum tillage with planting basins or ripping raise maize yields? Meso-panel data evidence from Zambia. H. Ngoma, N. Mason, and N. Sitko. Selected paper presented at the International Association of Agricultural Economists Triennial Conference. Milan, Italy, Aug. 14, 2015.
- Can crop purchase programs reduce poverty and improve welfare in rural communities? Evidence from the Food Reserve Agency in Zambia. W. Fung, S. Liverpool-Tasie, N. Mason, and R. Oyelere. (Senior authorship not assigned.) Selected presentation at the International Association of Agricultural Economists Triennial Conference. Milan, Italy, Aug. 11, 2015.
- The effects of Kenya’s ‘smarter’ input subsidy program on smallholder behavior and economic well-being: Do different quasi-experimental approaches lead to the same conclusions? N. Mason, A. Wineman, L. Kirimi, and D. Mather. Selected presentation at the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association’s annual meeting. San Francisco, CA. Jul. 28, 2015.
- Do crop income shocks widen disparities in smallholder agricultural investments? Panel survey evidence from Zambia. Y. Kusunose, S. Tembo, N. Mason, and M. Smale. Selected paper presented at the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association’s annual meeting. San Francisco, CA. Jul. 28, 2015.
- Political economy dimensions of input subsidy programs: Fertilizer subsidies & election outcomes in Zambia. N. Mason, T.S. Jayne, and N. van de Walle. Invited seminar, Division of Development Strategy and Governance, International Food Policy Research Institute. Washington, DC. Jan. 14, 2015.