Ph.D., University of Chicago
M.A., University of Chicago
B.A., Brown University
International Development, Assistant Professor
Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1039
All Publications (View all Porter’s publications on Google Scholar sorted by year)
- Porter, M. 2016. “Spousal Bargaining Over Care for Elderly Parents in China: Imbalances in Sex Ratios Influence the Allocation of Support” Journal of Development Studies, forthcoming DOI:10.1080/00220388.2016.1156093
- Porter, M. 2016. “Effects of Microcredit and Other Loans on Female Empowerment in Bangladesh: The Borrowers Gender Influences Intra-Household Resource Allocation” Agricultural Economics 47:235-245. DOI:10.1111/agec.12225
- Porter, M. 2016. “How Do Sex Ratios in China Influence Marriage Decisions and Intra-Household Resource Allocation?” Review of Economics of the Household, 14(2): 337-371. DOI 10.1007/s11150-014-9262-9
Porter, M., and A. Adams. 2015. “For Love or Reward? Characterising Preferences for Giving to Parents in an Experimental Setting” Economic Journal, forthcoming. DOI: 10.1111/ecoj.12248
- Porter, Maria. 2010. “Health, Longevity, and the Role of the Family in China.” Journal of Population Ageing 3-4: 103-109.
- Porter, Maria. 2010. “Marriage and The Elderly in China” in Aging Asia: The Economic and Social Implications of Rapid Demographic Change in China, Japan, and Korea, edited by K. Eggleston and S. Tuljapurkar, Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press.
- King, Elizabeth. M., Stephan Klasen, and Maria Porter. 2009. “Women and Development.” in Global Crises, Global Solutions, edited by B. Lomborg, 2nd edition, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.