Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley
M.I.A., Columbia University
Diplôme, Institut Européen des Hautes Etudes Internationales, Université de Nice
B.A., Claremont Men's College
Professor, MSU Distinguished Faculty, and AAEA Fellow
Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1039 email@example.com
Selected Published Books and Chapters
- Reardon, T., K.Z. Chen, B. Minten, and L. Adriano. 2012. The Quiet Revolution in Staple Food Value Chains in Asia: Enter the Dragon, the Elephant, and the Tiger. Asian Development Bank and IFPRI, December.
- Haggblade, S., P. Hazell, T. Reardon (eds.). 2007. Transforming the Rural Nonfarm Economy: Opportunities and Threats in the Developing World, Johns Hopkins University Press. October. (Hardcover and paperback)
- Reardon, T. and C.P. Timmer. 2007. “Transformation of Markets for Agricultural Output in Developing Countries Since 1950: How Has Thinking Changed?” chapter 55 in R.E. Evenson, and P. Pingali (eds). Handbook of Agricultural Economics, 3: Agricultural Development: Farmers, Farm Production and Farm Markets. Amsterdam: Elsevier Press: 2808-2855.
Selected Published Guest-Edited Special Issues of Journals
- Reardon, T., C.B. Barrett, J.A. Berdegué, and J.F.M. Swinnen. (Guest Editors), 2009. “Agrifood Industry Transformation and Farmers in Developing Countries”, World Development, 37(11), November.
- Davis, B., P. Winters, T. Reardon, and K. Stamoulis. (Guest Editors). 2009. “Rural Nonfarm Employment and Farming: Household-level Linkages,” Agricultural Economics 40(2).
Selected Recent Articles
- Yang, J., Z. Huang, X. Zhang, T. Reardon. 2013. “The Rapid Rise of Cross-Regional Agricultural Mechanization Services in China,” American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 95(5), October. doi: 10.1093/ajae/aat027
- Minten, B., KAS Murshid, and T. Reardon. 2013. “Food quality changes and implications: Evidence from the rice value chain of Bangladesh,” World Development, 42, February: 100-113.
- Reardon, T., C.P. Timmer, and B. Minten. 2012. “The Supermarket Revolution in Asia and Emerging Development Strategies to Include Small Farmers,” PNAS: Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the USA. 109(31), July 31: 12332-12337.
- Reardon, T. and CP Timmer. 2012. “The Economics of the Food System Revolution,” Annual Review of Resource Economics,” 14: 225-264.
- Minten, B., T. Reardon, and R. Sutradhar. 2010. “Food Prices and Modern Retail: The case of Delhi,” World Development, 38(12): 1775-1787.
- Haggblade, S., P.B.R. Hazell, and T. Reardon. 2010. The Rural Nonfarm Economy: Prospects for Growth and Poverty Reduction, World Development. 38(10): 1429–1441
- Reardon, T., C.B. Barrett, J.A. Berdegué, J. Swinnen. 2009. “Agrifood Industry Transformation and Farmers in Developing Countries,” World Development. 37(11): 1717-1727.
- Hernández, R., T. Reardon, and J.A. Berdegué. 2007. “Supermarkets, Wholesalers, and Tomato Growers in Guatemala,” Agricultural Economics, 36(3), May: 281-290.
- Reardon, T., C.P. Timmer, C.B. Barrett, J. Berdegue. 2003. “The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa, Asia, and Latin America,” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 85(5), Dec.: 1140-1146.
- Reardon, T. and J.A. Berdegué. 2002. The Rapid Rise of Supermarkets in Latin America: Challenges and Opportunities for Development,” Development Policy Review, 20 (4), September: 317-34.
- Reardon, T. and E.M.M.Q. Farina. 2002. “The Rise of Private Food Quality and Safety Standards: Illustrations from Brazil,” International Food and Agribusiness Management Review (4): 413-421.
- Reardon, T. and C.B. Barrett. 2000. “Agroindustrialization, Globalization, and International Development: an overview of issues, patterns, and determinants,” Agricultural Economics, 23 (3), September: 195-205.
- Reardon, T., J-M. Codron, L. Busch, J. Bingen, C. Harris. 1999. “Global Change in Agrifood Grades and Standards: Agribusiness Strategic Responses in Developing Countries,” International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, 2 (3/4): 421-435.
- Reardon, T., C. Barrett, V. Kelly, and K. Savadogo. 1999. “Policy reforms and sustainable agricultural intensification in Africa,” Development Policy Review 17 (4) December: 375-39