Refugio I. Rochin
Ph.D., 1971. Michigan State University
MA., 1969. Michigan State University
MS., 1967. University of Arizona
BA., 1966. University of California, Berkeley
Former Professor and Director, Julian Samora Research Institute
Agriculture, Food, and Resource Economics
Michigan State University
- Graduate Level: International Trade, Finance & Development, Business Enterprise Development, Project Planning & Evaluation, Welfare Economics and The Economics of Community Development.
- Undergraduate: American Demographics, Latino Community and Economic Development, Social Science Research Methods, Race & Ethnicity, Latino/a Studies, The Economics of Poverty & Inequality, Regional Planning & Development.
- Subject Matter: Interdisciplinary Programs, Economic Development, Small Business Economics, Rural Workers, Latino Communities, Globalization, Immigration and Transnational Labor; Project & Cost Benefit Analysis; Strategic Planning & Impact Assessment.
Doctoral Dissertations Directed at Michigan State University.
- Elaine Allensworth, Sociology, PhD., “Ethnic Transformation of Rural Communities of California,” 1998.
Doctoral Dissertations Directed at U.C. Davis - Thesis titles approximate.
- Buckley, Robert Agricultural Economics, PhD candidate, ”Tests of Labor Market Segmentation Hypothesis: Analysis of Latino Concentration in Places & Occupations,” 1981.
- Soheila Khoii, Agricultural Economics, PhD, “Impact of Changing Property Tax Laws on Small Cities,” 1982.
- Zhu, Feng - Shu, Scholar from China, “Farming and Optimal Resource Utilization in the Region of Guyuan, China,” 1986.
- Mohammed Bahardar, PhD. Environmental Studies. “The Economic Returns to Biosphere Reserve Areas,” 1993.
- Bea Calo, PhD. “Chicano Entrepreneurship in Rural California: An Empirical Analysis,” 1995.
- Steve Hampton, PhD., “Self-employment Enterprises Within Colonias of the Southwest,” 1995. Rochin was committee member.
- Elias Lopez, PhD., “Social Capital in the Educational Attainment of Latinos,” 1994.
- Dawn Thilmany, PhD., “IRCA and Mexican Farm Labor in the United States,” 1994. Rochin was committee member.
Supervised Thesis and Dissertations Master Degree Thesis - University of California, Davis.
- El Fadil M. Elamin, “Economic Development in the Sudan,” 1982.
- David Masumoto, ”Community Development Organizations,” 1982.
- Feliz Temel, “Community Development in Turkey,” 1982.
- Judith K. Stoft, “Women’s Movements and Community Development,” 1982.
- Heidi Knight, “Labor Organizing and Community Development,” 1985.
- Louie Valenzuela, “California’s Farm Labor and Strawberry Production,” 1986.
- Joseph C. Grossman, “Peasant Co-ops and Government Controls in Egypt,” 1987.
- Lynn Gilliland, “Women’s Cooperatives of Nicaragua,” 1987.
- Brita Abele, “Planning Commercial Zones: trade & retail area analysis,” 1987.
- Ingrid Nyborg, “Organizing Credit Cooperatives for Small Farmers: Factors Conducive for Operational Success,” 1988.
- Jodee Solomon, “Cooperatives for Rural Development,” 1988.
- Gopi Ghosh, H/Humphrey Fellow, “Regional Planning in India,” 1988.
- Sekae Sylla, H/Humphrey Fellow, “Economic Planning in New Guinea,” 1988.
- Nicole Ballenger, “Labor Markets in the Borderlands of the United States.” 1987.
- Robert Maus, “Regional Planning and Community Development,” 1987.
- Ricardo Amon, “Agribusiness and Migrant Labor from Mexico,” 1988.
- Anne Evans, “The Economics of Consumer Cooperatives & Direct Marketing,” 1988.
- Fields Ashley Caveness, “Regional Planning in Australia,” 1988.
- Carlos Lozada, “International Agricultural Development: Dairy Farms of Peru,” 1990.
- Mohammed Bahardar, “Shift Share Analysis of the Tax Reform in California,” 1990.
- Ray Huffaker, “Rural Labor Markets and Economic Development,” 1991.
- Edward Dolber-Smith, Community Development, “Rural Poverty in California,” 1990.
- Karen Jetter, “The Availability and Prices of Consumer Goods and Services in Small Towns of Northern California.” 1991.
- Monica D. Castillo, “Immigration, Colonia Formation and Latino Poor in Rural California: Evolving Immiseration,” 1992.